Home » , » The end of the relationship?

The end of the relationship?

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 | 10:32 PM

I had a rather, well just let me be honest here, ugly book shelf in our den that houses my childrens books.  I wanted to change the color to brighten it up, so I threw on some ASCP in Old Ochre. 
 I was a little suspect at first since the material on the shelf is veneer, BUT the paint should go over anything, right?
WRONG!! This is the point that my relationship was almost over. Panicked, I applied 2-3 more coats on the front and inside.  The outside and top did just fine.


    

At this point I was considering packing it up and just moving this thing up to our shop. I clearly thought it was over, but then I had an idea. Satisfied with the outside, top and front trim, I wanted to focus on the inset only. 
The solution- I was going to line the inset with a story. I choose one of our favorites- The Giving Tree.
So I made copies of the book.
Once I had my copies, I lined the pages up and taped to the inside to see how to position the story. Once all the pages were in place, I applied some mod podge with a sponge brush.  To give the story an older look (like it was hidden behind the shelf veneer for a long time) I applied some diluted water/paint in ASCP Old Ochre.  I gently sanded it down when it was dry.
 
At first I thought my relationship with ASCP was over and then towards the end of the project, I had a change of heart.
Overall I am pretty pleased with the results considering our tumultuous relationship during the process!
 
 This is what I started with ( sorry about image quality)
And here is what I ended with
Even though the relationship isn't over, not sure I would use ASCP over veneer again. What do you think?

I am bringing my book shelf and showing up at
Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Feature Friday
The 36th Avenue Party Time 
Weekend Wrap Party at Tatertots and Jello 
Funky Junk Interiors Sat Night Special
Stylish Once Again Restyled Sundays
Homemaker on a Dime Creative Bloggers Party
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Beautiful Interior Design - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger